Thursday, October 18, 2007

A Growing Passion

Having played truant from Sharma sir's classroom for two weeks, I made a trip to the National Zoological Park to try my hand at photographing wildlife, our next assignment. It has been years since my last visit to the zoo as Dan & Rae are now in university and are no longer eager to make zoo trips.

Even on a weekday, the zoo was full of people meandering the grounds: families with young kids, packs of young boys just having a good time, men walking together in twos, threes, fours. What is it about young Indian kids and a camera? Each of the groups of boys that I saw made eye contact with me and asked me to take their photograph. I of course obliged and after the click of the shutter, they
scrambled to see their photo on the digital viewing screen. It made them so happy! And why deny them this little joy when they reward me with such smiles! A particular group of boys knew enough English to attempt a conversation with me.

"One photo please?"
"Yes, of course! Stand over there."


As soon as they heard the click, they rushed over and surrounded me. One put his hand on my shoulder as though we were long time buddies. All smiles! Pure pleasure. I moved away to say goodbye. One of the other boys wanted a solo. This is where digital camera has it over film--you can always click, keep or chuck a photograph and no body need be the wiser for it! Another click. One boy shyly says, "One kiss?" I look at him, smile, and say, "one photo yes, one kiss no." HUH! A kiss from this old biddy? Not likely. What could they possibly be thinking?

Walking around the zoo later in the day (4pm - 6pm) is unnerving. The park is full of turns and little walkways. Weeds and tall grasses grow abundantly on the side of the paths making anyone who walks down it virtually disappear. I proceed carefully. I pass the emu, the Bengal tiger, the sloth bear (unfortunately he was not doing his upside down thing), giraffes, zebras...click, click, click.

It is unfortunate that the zoo opens at 9am. How wonderful it would be to see the animals in the early morning light, gentle shadows on their faces, furs and feathers. What a delight it would be to watch their early morning rituals and ablutions. I made it to the zoo the next morning. Mornings are less crowded. However, that too was unnerving as I could be mugged and robbed (wild imagination?) and no one would ever know!

I happened upon a little lake with pink pelicans. I settled down on the grass to shoot. It was not so much the joy in photography but the delight in watching these birds that consumed me! On the grass behind me were love birds (not birds, humans) while I sat facing the lake clicking away. Life often gets too frenetic that we fail to see the enchantment of nature that surrounds us. Behind a lens, we are gifted with the focus to see God's greatest miracles in nature.

I walked away and headed to the giraffes. Giraffes are such
gentle creatures that watching them walk slowly and reach up to trees is always a great photo opportunity. The 5 giraffes were feeding off a trough perched on a metal fence. All the animals in shadows, gathered for breakfast or perhaps brunch. No photo op there. The zebras were next door, also following their instinct and staying in shade. It was nearly 1130 and the sun was beating down.

The lake was still the best place to go; the pelicans had been very obliging. I met two older gentlemen with cameras. At first, I thought of retreating as their long bazooka lenses made my 70-300 telephoto look puny! But there is always something to learn from others and I boldly made my way towards the edge of the lake. We started a conversation. The gentlemen work for a newspaper and in their spare time, enjoy photography. They were very kind to me. I learned that feeding time was 1130. We all waited.
At around 1130, the birds started gliding over to the side of the lake. How wise God has made them! Lunch was late today. Finally we heard a meal call. A wondrous sight! The birds glided towards their meal, getting their share of lunch. Some headed towards the trees with fish in their beaks to feed their young. Some headed to a quiet spot to enjoy their meal privately A riot of birds darting about, some over head, some above us, such an unexpected pleasure for me!

I now understand why photography can be an all consuming passion. The rewards of patience and focus, the miracles that unfold before the lens are cherished blessings. Being behind the lens is discovering secrets, being privy to the to the marvels of our daily lives. What a gift: photography, my new passion!

Please visit the link below to view my photographs at the zoo.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=6313&l=15b5a&id=686591597